Puna Hongwanji is a Shin (Pure Land) Buddhist temple. It was founded in 1902. It has provided spiritual support and guidance throughout the Puna community for more than 100 years. The present temple was built in 1937 and the columbarium in 1963. Behind the temple and columbarium stands a bodhi tree, which was started from a cutting in Thailand, whose history dates back to a cutting from the bodhi tree in which the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni attained enlightenment. The tree was presented to Puna Hongwanji by Mr. Herbert Shipman who also selected the site in which it was planted.